10.24.2011

Chocolate Cheesecake Cookies

I've been jonesing to make cookies for a while.  Chocolate chip cookies to be exact, because to me, there is no other cookie.  My work schedule has been in the way, and when I'm off, I'm too tired, or something else seems more pressing.  Well, I had a day off and decided I'm sending Hubby to the grocery store.  I set the kids at the table with crayons and paper and made these scrumptious treats.  I found the recipe via Pinterest (of course).  Here is the link to the blog its first found on.

chocchipcookie


I don't really take pictures while I'm baking, so I will summarize.

Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cookies
  • 2 c flour
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/8 t baking soda
  • 1 stick plus 2 T butter
  • 1 c sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 3 oz cream cheese
  • 1 t vanilla  ( I also added 1/4 t almond extract.  I like the additional flavor it adds)
  • 12 oz chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F ( I think this is too hot for the cookies.  Next time I'm gonna try 350 and adjust the baking time)
Combine first four ingredients (dry) in a bowl.  Set aside.  Cream next five ingredients (wet) in another bowl.  Slowly add dry ingredients to wet.  Mix in chocolate chips.

Drop by spoonful onto baking sheet.  Bake for 10-12 minutes until edges are golden brown.

Ok, so most of  you know I can't leave a recipe alone.  I have to change something.  I guess that's my quirk and it usually drives my Hubby crazy.  So here is what I did differently.  I added 1/4 t of almond extract.  I LOVE the flavor it adds.  Plus, I have non-stick baking sheets.  The directions said to grease the baking sheet, so I did for the first batch.  The cookie bottoms were a little brown for my taste, so I stopped greasing the sheets.  I think that might also be a result of the temperature being a bit high.  I think next time I might try baking at 350 and adjusting the baking time.

The Verdict:
Soft, chewy cookies.  Bottoms a bit crispy.  Edges were golden brown, but tops still light colored.  Cookies did not spread out.  Love the almond taste, love the soft texture.  Not exactly like cheesecake, but still delicious.  Easy enough recipe that I will try again.  Can't wait to eat them with my coffee tomorrow morning!

Let me know if you try them, and what you think.  I'd love to hear from you!

No comments: