11.09.2011

Salted Caramel Cupcakes

You've probably heard about the Salted Caramel craze.  I first heard of it last year when Starbucks featured a Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate.  Then, this year they had a Salted Caramel Mocha.  I adored it.  There is something wonderful about the sweet saltiness.  While reading this blog, I discovered a recipe for Salted Caramel Cupcakes.  They looked divine.  Plus, I had a birthday celebration to plan and they seemed like the perfect dessert.  I gave it a go, and here is how it turned out.

Salted Caramel Cupcakes
  • one box of chocolate cake mix.  bake according to package directions to produce 24 cupcakes.
  • 1 cup caramel sauce
  • 1/2 t sea salt
  • frosting
  • crushed heath bar candy (optional)  (I used mini chocolate chips)
While the cupcakes are baking, warm the caramel sauce.  Stir in 1/2 t of sea salt.  Pour into squeeze-able condiment bottle.  Once the cupcakes come out, squirt the caramel into the hot cupcakes.  Cool as normal.  Frost with icing, top with candy and caramel drizzle.

I had high hopes for these cupcakes.  I envisioned perfect little cakes, one with a candle for my baby's second birthday.  However, my daughter had other plans.

I made the cupcakes on Friday.  Saturday morning, I awoke to "cupcakes!" uttered in a delightful child's voice.  It woke me up out of a dead sleep.  I rushed in to the kitchen to discover my daughter on the counter.  She had opened up the cupcake container and dumped the top layer over onto the bottom.  She was licking the frosting off the stops.  Frosting and caramel are everywhere.  She turns to look at me and says" delicious, Mommy!"  I grab her off and run to the bathroom to wash her hands.  I cry for my husband to come help me clean up and salvage what we can.  Princess had a time-out until I could stop shaking.


This is actually a cleaned-up version.


And these are the "display" cupcakes for the party.  They were yummy and went fast.  The moral of the story is don't expect picture perfect endings, but enjoy the weaving of the tale.  Life is too short to wait 24 hours for salted caramel cupcakes.

Anyone else wake-up with cupcakes on the brain?  Or maybe you have a wonderful story of your three year old climbing on the counter (with a chair, mind you)?  Please tell me I'm not the only mother out-witted by her children.

3 comments:

Carly said...

This morning, I was laying in bed, and I hear a toddler making noise in the kitchen. Then I realize Sammy is climbing on the counter. Then I remember he can reach the candy jar. So I jump up in a panic and run into the kitchen...he was sitting at the kitchen table, eating an apple. Haha. That story could've ended a lot differently.

But, no, no cupcakes on the brain. I haven't been eating wheat for the last couple of weeks, just until I lose a few lbs. You'd think I'd be craving such things, but I'm really not. In fact, last Sunday was Ruthie's birthday, so I took a "cheat day," and ate a cupcake, and it really grossed me out. Haha. I'm sure yours were better than the store bought ones.

Unknown said...

haha,that's awesome sammy was only eating an apple. my kiddos climb for sweets. the animal crackers disappeared yesterday.

tiffany said...

My heart sank reading this post. I'm glad you were able to salvage some of the cupcakes. They look yummy!
I always laugh when I read your kiddo stories or hear Miranda's stories at work.. only because I know it's a snapshot of the years to come.... I hope parenthood leaves me with my sense of humor. :D