11.15.2012

Corn Casserole

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, I thought I'd share my favorite side dish.  Now this isn't one I remember from my childhood, but it is one I have learned to savor in my young adult years.  Both my mom and my grandma from my dad's side have made it, but I'm not sure who started the tradition.  Anyway, it really doesn't matter since we all love it.  A quick Google search will find you many variations, but this is my favorite.

Corn Casserole

1 onion, diced (sweet yellow is my favorite)
1 green pepper, diced
1 stick of butter
1 can whole corn, drained
1 can creamed corn
2 beaten eggs
1 box corn muffin mix (we always use Jiffy)
1 bar of cream cheese, softened, cubed
1 c of sour cream
2c of shredded cheese (cheddar, colby, pepper jack, or any combo is good)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Saute onion, green pepper and butter in skillet over medium heat.  In large bowl, fold together beaten eggs and corn.  Add in muffin mix.  Add in onion and pepper mix, slowly.  Stir in cream cheese cubes and 1 c of shredded cheese.  Pour into greased 9 x 13 pan.  Spoon sour cream over mixture (you can swirl it in).  Sprinkle remaining shredded cheese over the top.  Bake in oven for 40 minutes.

This is sooo yummy.  I made it the first week in November (or was is the end of October?) because I was craving it.  It's a fantastic side dish to many main meals, although it does speak of turkey, gravy, and cranberry to me.  Do you have a favorite dish you look forward to with holidays?  I'd love to hear about it.

No comments: