9.22.2011

House Perfume


I love perfume.  I love scented candles and lotion.  I adore fragrant foaming soaps.  I enjoy my house smelling of tasty food, but I dislike all the work that comes with baking and cleaning up afterwards.  Fall fragrances are especially my favorite.  Since I now live in a climate that doesn't have much of a fall season, I decided instead of mourning for my favorite time of year I am going to make my house smell like it.  

So here is my recipe for a homemade house perfume:
  • Get a small saucepan and fill it 1/3 to 1/2 full of water.

  • Put in a few of your favorite herbs and spices.
I used two cinnamon sticks, a few shakes of nutmeg, cloves, and a bit of vanilla.
Don't tell my hubby I used real vanilla.
  • Turn the burner on low and wait for a homemade pot of simmering goodness to fill your house with a yummy fragrance. 

My house smells wonderful....just like an apple pie, but without all the work and none of the calories.
Obviously, I used straight from the bottle and didn't buy anything special.  I'm pretty lazy and its a great, cheap way to use up old spices.  The larger the pieces, the better it works.  Experimentation with different combinations can be fun.  I have used orange oil, rosemary, allspice, apple slices, and ginger, although not all together.  Citrus peels would work, too This is a great thing to start 30 minutes before a party or company.  I like to start it when I am going to be cleaning all day; it puts me in a better mood. 

Any of you tried this?  What are your favorite combinations? Anyone addicted to good smelling things?


No comments: