9.05.2012

Mantle Updates

Lately, I've been working on styling my mantle.  Its had a few different looks over the last five months.  I can't seem to get it right.  I have a vision in my head, but lack the funds and/or creativity to achieve it.  Nevertheless, I keep messing with it.  Here are a few of my attempts.


Ok, so I like this one, but it feels very cluttered.  I love the large painting, but everything else was small.  Lots of small things makes the mantle feel cluttered and so not the look I'm going for.  I want a beachy, casual vibe, not beachy junk.  I love the painting, I found it at HomeGoods for under 30 bucks.  Much better than the one on Etsy I was eying, and hubby approves of this one.  It has fluid lines like the water and I love the cool color tones.  It feels clean to me, but the clutter detracts.


So then I went extreme minimalist, at least for me.  I like the idea of tall candles on either side, but didn't want to spend the money on new ones.  I think two clear or recycled glass pillars would look awesome on either side.  The painting looks too small alone and needs something to balance it out. 


And this is where I am at today.  I'm trying for a collected look. Everything here means something to me; a group of my favorite design books, candleholders in mercury glass because I love bling, two small paintings I made, a fish gifted when we moved to the beach, the large painting to reflect the ocean, a fragrant candle, and a glass jar just because I love it.  I would like a picture of my family, but I want to have a current one taken first.

What do you have on your mantle?

No comments: