9.16.2014

Still on the Hunt

Nine months ago, I posted about looking for a new job.  I've been frustrated in my current situation and finally worked up the guts to do something about it.  Its been an emotional ride.

When I graduated, six years ago, I didn't have to look for a job.  I didn't even interview.  I was offered a position with my current employer.  I was happy with my work, my co-workers were happy.  Heck, I knew people that had worked in the same field for 30 years and still loved it.  I figured I would do the same.  Well, things changed.

I didn't know where to start.  Many factors have changed on the job front, and my once in-demand career is even starting to level out.  I sent out resumes and tried to discreetly ask around.  A local hospital finally called and I had several interviews that led up to a job offer.  Finally!

Unfortunately, I had to decline the offer. There wasn't room for negotiation.  I couldn't forgo health benefits for my family or take a drastic pay cut.  While I am so ready for a change I can almost taste it, I have to be responsible and think of my family.  Durn grown up stuff.  I so desperately wanted to throw in the towel.

Fortunately, I am able to reduce my hours at my current job.  Oddly enough, my salary is still higher than the job offer, plus I retain all my benefits.  While its not my first choice, it will help for the time being.  Now, I'm working on a new plan.

  • Pay off student loans.  I despise these suckers.  If we didn't have them, I could take a drastic pay cut.  Nevertheless, I have a renewed passion to kick 'em to the curb.
  • Finish getting my NC license.  It will make me more marketable and I won't be locked in to my current locale.  End of story.
  • Rethink what I want.  I need this job to work for me and my family as much as I need to work for it.
  • Pray!  I chose this career to glorify God.  He desires for me to use it for Him and provide for my family.  He will guide me to my next step.

No comments: